The Alef Beats
Founded in 2005, the Alef Beats are one of Brown University’s younger singing groups. Featuring members from all around the states and the world, the Alef Beats are arguably one of the university’s most diverse a cappella groups. Brought together by a love of music and a passion for Jewish culture, the Alef Beats have been working hard to bring Jewish a cappella to Brown’s rich music scene as well as to the Northeast region at large.
The Alef Beats’ repertoire currently consists of a surprisingly eclectic range of songs. The Beats perform a number of vocal arrangements by Jewish singers and songwriters as well as a healthy smattering of traditional Hebrew and Yiddish tunes. These songs are performed at various events, including competitions, festivals, private concerts, temple gatherings/parties, holiday celebrations, and arch sings around the Brown University campus and along the East Coast.
Purchase or stream the album from our website.
Manhattan Jewish Community Center, Brown RISD Hillel, Providence Art Club, Edgewood Elementary School, Temple Sinai (Sharon, Ma), PeaceLove Studios (Providence), Brookline A Cappella Fest, Brandeis University, New England Jewish Collegiate A Cappella Competition & Showcase, Providence Jewish Community Center, Temple Beth Shalom, and many more!
Check out videos of past Alef Beats performances:
Current Repertoire (as of February 2019)
- Superstition (Stevie Wonder)
- In My Room (Beach Boys)
- Ad Sof Haolam (Hebrew)
- So Far (Habanot Necham, Hebrew and English)
- Say You Love Me (Jessie Ware)
- Youth (Troye Sivan)
- The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel)
- Al Hanissim (Mike Boxer, Hebrew)
- Boee (Idan Raichel, Hebrew)
- Breathin/Raindrops (Ariana Grande)
- Miss You (Gabrielle Aplin)
- Bei Mir Bist Du Shein (Jacob Jacobs, Sholom Secunda, Yiddish and English)
- Darkeinu (Hebrew)
- Down To The River (Allison Krauss)
- Show Me Love (Hundred Waters)
- Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen)
Interested in Gigs?
Contact The Alef Beats.